1) Position yourself on all fours with the shoulders in a vertical line over your wrists and your hips in a vertical line over your knees. Make your pelvis neutral (sacrum level) and elongate your spine in a horizontal line away from the pelvis.
2) Walk your hands forward 12 inches and then Stamp the ground with the hands and fingers. Stabilize your arms and shoulders.
3) Lift your hips up and away from your hands. Momentarily bend the knees, move the pubic bone back between the legs and lift the sitting bones.
4) Press the inner thighs back to straighten the legs. Continue to press the thigh back strongly, see if you can make the thigh bones move deeper into your legs.
5) Press the hands into the earth, ground the legs and then elongate your spine along a descending diagonal line from the pelvis through the crown of the head.
6) Steady your gaze between your upper inner thighs.
7) Maintain the strength and stability of the arms and legs so that you can freely release your spine downwards along the axis and into the body
8) Breathe freely along the centeral axis from the root support at your pelvic base to the thousand petaled lotus at the crown of your head.
9) Create an uddhyana bandha action, hollow your belly, cause your stomach to ‘fly up’, and thus to disappear. Pressing the thighs back will help bring the greyhound dog shape to your belly.
10) Allow your entire body to become receptive to the actions that you are using to create your posture.
11) Make your posture a mudra, an inward seal of awareness, adopt a half smile, empty your gaze, and enjoy!
David Garrigues is one of the few teachers in the US certified to teach Ashtanga Yoga by the late world renowned yoga master Sri K Pattahbi Jois. As an Ashtanga Ambassador, he bases his teachings on the idea that 'Anyone can take practice,' a core idea in the teachings of Sri K Pattahbi Jois.
David's mission is to help others flourish within the contemporary lineage of Ashtanga Yoga. While staying true to the traditional teachings of Ashtanga, David is adept at adapting the practice to suit all levels of practitioner and make it accessible to everyone.
David is the creator of the Asana Kitchen Series (SUBSCRIBE for up-to-date videos at https://www.youtube.com/user/davidgar...) as well as additional resources for Ashtanga practitioners including led DVDs and his pranayama book, Vayu Siddhi, available for purchase on his website http://www.davidgarrigues.com.
This Asana Kitchen was filmed at David's studio in Kovalam, Kerala India at the Ashtanga Yoga School of Kovalam.
The Asana Kitchen series is created to answer common questions or address concerns about the practice. To submit questions for the Asana Kitchen series, you can attend David's workshops OR email him at the email@example.com
Keywords: Ashtanga Yoga "Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga" Vinyasa "Primary Series" Ashtanga Downward Dog Shoulders Upper Body Strength Core Vinyasa Power Mysore Fitness Exercise Weightloss David Garrigues, "Asana Kitchen" Asana Kitchen Kovalam India Kerala Inversion Chest